This is not a review of Mockingjay. I am way too emotionally overwhelmed to be capable of critical thinking right now. This does contain spoilers at random.
I read from 9:30am and finished at 4:58pm. I spent a lot of that time in anguish, freaking out.
And then I died a happy, happy (metaphorical) death.
I cannot even begin to tell you how pleased I was with the ending. That last page…it said it all and perfectly. Suzanne Collins via Katniss finally voiced why Peeta was the one and Gale never could be. I am so so glad she emphasized that Peeta wasn’t just who she ended up with, but who she was always meant to be with. And, oh, the way she voiced it:
“On the night I feel that thing again, the hunger that overtook me on the beach, I know this would have happened anyway. That what I need to survive is not Gale’s fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in spring. The bright yellow rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go one, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.”
Just let that sink in for a moment. And then, BAM, Suzanne Collins turns me into a sobbing ecstatic mess:
“So after, when he whispers ‘You love me. Real or not real?’
I tell him, ‘Real.’”
--Mockingjay, page 388
End game. I’m done. I’m jumping around my (thankfully empty) house like a crazy person crying from happiness and screaming like a mad woman.
(This even almost makes up for my precious Harry and Hermione not ending up together.)
Ok, now for some other stuff.
--Some favorite texts from friends while reading today:
“I peeked at a page in the far distance…and I shouldn’t have.” I knew exactly what page Lauren had meant when I got to it. 177, oh how you shocked and horrified us.
“Oh em eff gee. I will beat her over the head with her bow and arrows.” I’ll steal Finnick’s trident and help you, Katie.
“So, I’m on page 127 after Katniss sings ‘The Hanging Tree’ and I’m texting you so I don’t cry!” Kellie, The Hanging Tree part made me sob. I was mesmerized, too.
“Kate…Coin is shady.” Preach it, Lauren!
“I have to take breaks because it is so intense.” Um, word Sister.
“Just finished part 1!! PEETAAA :(” I spent most of the day crying “Peeta” the way Marci did.
--Page 64: “I still stand by what I said. Do you want me to lie about it?” he asks.
“No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion.”
I want to use that line on somebody! Love it.
--All the moments when Peeta repeats lines from previous books when he’s regaining his real memories… I was freaking out. Lamb stew. “I think…you still have no idea. The effect you can have.” (pg 325.) Etc.
--Page 314. I’m not even going to quote it for you. Just go re-read that daring and perfect and really really overdue kiss and melt all over again like I did.
--Page 244: “She got very squeaky. It was like someone stabbing a mouse with a fork repeatedly.”
So, I totally ended up loving Johanna.
And Finnick. Don’t get me started on the many ways I loved Finnick. I will start crying again. (Annie Cresta & Finnick O’Dair forever! And did you catch how they had a baby? *Sob*)
--Page 271: “You’re a painter. You’re a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.” Yeah, I cried. Peeta, come back!
--I’m really glad we got to know Prim a bit more in this book. It always bothered me that she didn’t have much of a voice when she meant so much to our heroine. I was heartbroken for Katniss when she died. And terribly terribly bothered when Gale made his comment: “That was the one thing I had going for me. Taking care of your family.” (pg 367) Reason #1000002 why Katniss was right to be with a good man like Peeta instead of Gale.
--Page 372. I KNEW IT. I hated Coin all along and the closer we got to this climax I felt sure Katniss would choose to eliminate Coin, not just Snow. Especially after the Hunger Games vote—when she voted yes I knew something was up.
A bullet point isn’t sufficient for my last thoughts. And honestly, I’m not in the right mindset to give praise to Suzanne Collins the way I’d like to and as fully as she deserves. But I do have to say how remarkably poignant her series is on the issues of war, rebellion, inhumanity, right vs. wrong, so on. I know I swoon a lot over Peeta and wax on about why he was the right choice and all the beautiful and heartbreaking moments we get between him and Katniss. However, far beyond all the romance, I appreciate and am astounded by the genius of these books to show that right and wrong is never clear, things aren’t quite black and white and that the enemy can be on all sides just as your friends can exist on all sides. She so critically portrays the battle within and without and the danger of violence and destruction no matter what cause you think you’re doing it all for.
Maybe this theme is why above all else I absolutely love Katniss. She is my homegirl, to quote my bestie Lar. She may not always make the wisest choice but she never ever ever allows herself to completely give in to the choices of others. She constantly reconsiders what role she’s playing and she refuses to be a pawn. She thinks for herself. She’s compassionate and she never dismisses the Capitol as all bad or upholds the rebels as all good. She protects those she loves, whether they be Capitol, Rebel, or Green (dear dear Octavia).
This is why, forgetting Team Peeta or Team Gale stuff, I love when she asserts at the end that “I have plenty of fire by myself.” She does. She certainly does.
So, when she chooses who she loves, she chooses somebody who can accept her, love her, and let her be herself. She knows she could be fine all on her own but she also realizes she has the choice to love someone else.
Sheesh, how long is this post? This, my friends, is what happens when I encounter a book that rocks my world and then have nobody to talk to about it.
I hope you all are reading and enjoying this series just as much as I am. Please tell me what your thoughts are!
{Cover of Mockingjay with the necklace I wore today on it. It's the closest thing I have that reminds me of the books what with the berries and the bird.}
*What it's here for: Whatever the heck I want it to be here for. Hehehe.
9 comments:
*slow clap*
Ok, wow...so much to discuss!
Let me just bullet a couple extra moments that you didn't include (because let's face it...the ones you already included are favs of mine as well.)
- Much like your ending paragraphs, I loved that Katniss chose for herself. And who else wanted her to make her own choice? Peeta. When he told her in the "propo" to choose for herself, I died. It showed how much he was fighting to come out of his stupor (of sorts) to protect her.
Which brings me to the next one...
- "...because that's what we do. We protect each other." I loved when Katniss made the decision to throw away her frustrations and anger and just help Peeta. Help him return to her. Help him come out of the fog and confusion he was in. She realized he needed her above everyone else. I loved how kind she was to him during all of the turmoil in the Capital. She took time to make sure he was fed, to hold onto his shackle key (instead of someone else doing it) and cleaning his wounds.
And then the next bullet..
- And she took a chance on him. She took a very dangerous situation and trusted their love. She kissed him! She begged him to stay with her. She told him to not leave her! And then miraculously he said, "...I don't want to..." and then, ONE of the most powerful lines, that actually was only a word, "always." That one word held so much promise! Promise that Peeta had returned to her. He had recognized that he had been in love with her, and that he still was. He had finally pieced it together. At that moment, I knew Gale was done-zo.
- When Katniss found out that Gale had moved to a different district, and all she felt was relief. I clapped. I clapped, I tell you. I mean, what kind of douche just steps out when she is in distress and just leaves to a different district without even letting her know. Especially one that was supposedly in love with her? *spit!*
- Finnick's love for Annie made my heart swell. I can't tell you how happy I was that he got his happiness. That he got to marry her! And even though he never saw their baby, the thought that Annie has a part of Finnick with her forever, makes for a bittersweet ending.
- I was sort of disappointed with Katniss' mother. I understand she couldn't deal...but...yeah. That's all I'm going to say.
- Haymitch...oh Haymitch. My love for you is tenfold.
I just realized this is super long. I will just email you. ha!
You hit so many of my favs! Especially the last page. I cried. She chose Peeta for all the right reasons and because it was meant to be.
I also love that this is so much more than a love story. While I do love me some Peeta, Suzanne Collins has written so much more than that and it is absolutely amazing.
I loved this book. I loved this series. I can't wait to read it again :)
What to say.. where to start? I think we basically had the exact same reactions to this book. When the mentions of other books were brought in (like you said.. the lamb stew).. my heart skipped a beat. I loved it. It gave me hope that he was coming back to Katniss. The kiss slayed me. I cried. I was so happy she kissed him.
And with Gale.. yeah. You said it perfect, sista.
I think my favorite thing of the whole book is the last page. Peeta was her dandelion. Her hope. Katniss has enough fire for 5 people.. she didn't need Gale. She needed Peeta.
Swoon.
LOVED this book. I can not even begin to measure how much love I have for it.
I cried so many times. All of the deaths (cinna, finnick, Prim!) all got to me. S.C. is brilliant. I want to hug the woman which is rare. I dont really like hugging. Not my thing.
Every step Peeta made to get back to Katniss made me feel so much hope for them and I'm glad it paid off.
Also Gale is lame and gives up really easily. Apparently he didnt really love Katniss.
I love everything about this post. You are so right. And thanks for being my text support throughout the day when I thought I was going to lose it. Team Finnick. srsly. Love him so much. And I"m glad we both love the part about the double knot shoelace. I truly lost it.
You love me. Real or not real?
Real.
Get me every time!
Oh I just loved it!!!! You summed it up perfect!! Doesn't it just kill you that Prim had to die in the end when keeping her alive was what started this whole thing. It broke my heart. I love her and peeta!! greatest book couple of all time.
Loved this book. & I love all your points. I'm still a bit bitter that Finnick died. & Prim. Oh Peeta, he is amazing.
I'm FINALLY able to read your post about it! And I completely agree. With everything. Although I do wish we would have had more of Katniss and Prim moments or memories. I feel like I mourned Finnick harder because we had more scenes and memories of him.
And my fav part, "Suzanne Collins via Katniss finally voiced why Peeta was the one and Gale never could be. " BAM. That's the one that made it so she wouldn't question not being with Gale. She wrapped up the end of the book so perfectly that we didn't feel sorry for how things turned out (but I was never a huge Gale fan anyway).
Also I'm kind of wishing she would have said the kids' names...I could imagine the girl being named Prim.
Post a Comment